The childcare course would suit you if you are currently working in a role where you carry out regular child observations and deliver planned activities for children under 5 years. This course is ideal if you want to learn how to promote a child’s physical, emotional and social development
About the course
- Promoting children’s welfare and wellbeing in the early years
- Professional practice in early years settings
- Supporting children’s speech, language and communication
- Promoting learning and development in the early years
- Promote children and young people’s development
- Support children and young people’s health and safety
- Develop positive relationships with children, young people and others involved in their care
- Promote communication in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings
- Understand how to safeguard the wellbeing of children and young people
- Maintain and support relationships with children and young people
- Understand children and young people’s development
- Context and principles for early years provision
Optional units may include:
- Physical and creative play activity planning
- Promoting the wellbeing and resilience of children and young people
- Meeting the physical and nutritional needs of young children
You will need to obtain a current paediatric first aid certificate if you do not already have one. This can be undertaken at the college.
You must achieve a minimum of 65 credits to achieve this qualification. Some units are mandatory and some you may choose with the agreement of your employer and assessor. Your assessor will go through these units with you and your employer in more detail and discuss how the credits work so you may achieve your qualification successfully. Your assessor will visit you in the workplace to assess you to ensure you meet the minimum national standards.
Knowledge qualification: Advanced Apprenticeship for the Children and Young People’s Workforce.
Most of the knowledge you will learn in the classroom in college. Some may also be delivered online, in the workplace and by attending additional courses run by Hounslow Early Years.
Personal learning and thinking skills
Evidence will be collected to show that you have acquired the following skills: creative thinking, independent enquiry, reflective learning, self-management, teamwork and effective participation. You will be required to keep an ongoing reflective journal for the duration of the course.
Transferable skills qualifications
- Mathematics Level 2
- English Level 2
- ICT Level 2
Successful completion of the Advanced Apprenticeship will enable you to progress in your career to a role such as nursery supervisor, nursery manager, pre-school manager or co-ordinator. You will also have the opportunity to go on to further study, such as the Foundation Degree in Early Years, or when you have completed the Level 3 Diploma you can progress to the Advanced Level 3 Diploma in the Children and Young People’s Workforce, completing the additional units and assignments to gain the full qualification.
- For the Advanced Apprenticeship programme, you should be willing to work at least 30 hours per week in a nursery or in a school’s reception or nursery class, and have successfully completed your probationary period.
- You should also have a Level 2 Diploma or equivalent in childcare or health and care and be able to demonstrate a good underpinning knowledge of the sector. Occasionally we accept applicants who do not have any prior qualifications, but who have at least one year’s work or voluntary experience in the childcare sector at a level where they may be working on their own or supervising others.
- You will need to undertake a criminal record check.
Start date: Any Monday
Course time: Times may change subject to demand
Level 2: Recruitment on going.
Level 3: Monday 6 pm to 8 pm.
Thursday 11 am to 1 pm.
Level 5: Recruitment on going
Class size: Max 15 (average class size 10)
Minimum age: 19
1- Child Care level 2: 4 months
2- Child Care level 3: 4/6 months
3- Child Care level 5: 12 months
1- Child Care level 2: £650
2- Child Care level 3: £850 or 24+ Advanced Learning Loan.
3- Child Care level 5: £1500