The Award in Food Safety in Catering can help you meet the minimum requirements laid down by the UK to work within a food environment.
The Award in Healthier Food and Special Diets will enable the learner to understand food restrictions required by many differing individuals, from dietary needs to religious needs.
The Food Safety in Catering qualifications are suitable for anybody who is in a supervisory position or those working with food. For the supervisory qualification, you will have some experience in a full or part-time position within the hospitality sector and be looking to take on more responsibility for food safety at work.
The Healthier Food and Special Diets qualification targets chefs/learners. Who wants to develop and understand those with special dietary or religious needs?
Who is this course for?
This course is designed for people who want to work in catering.
- Food poisoning and contamination – Illness caused by consuming food that has been contaminated by bacteria, viruses, or other toxins.
- Food preparation techniques – Methods used to prepare and cook food to ensure safety and quality.
- Temperature control – The process of maintaining safe temperatures to prevent foodborne illness and spoilage.
- Infection control – Measures taken to prevent the spread of infection in food preparation and handling.
- Food Standards – Regulations and guidelines for producing, processing, packaging, and labelling food to ensure safety and quality.
- Storage – Proper handling and storage of food to maintain its safety and quality.
To take the course, candidates must have a minimum level 3 in English and Mathematics functional skills. Scheduled for a duration of one day, the course will take place from 10 AM to 2 PM and accommodate a maximum of 10 students, with an average class size of 5-8 students. Additionally, participants must be at least 18 years of age to enrol in the course.
Course dates and times:
Successful candidates will receive a Food Safety in Catering certificate upon completion of the course. The certificate proves understanding and commitment to health and safety.
For more information, please visit the reception of the college.